blob: 28336f521df8adef4b95425b70c58b7425cfccd6 (plain
Leafnode 2 is an NNTP proxy server intended for small sites, where
there are few users and little disk space, but where a large number of
groups is desired. It can also be used to give a regular newsreader
There is some work to do to install this program effectively, all
of which is clearly set out in the README file contained in the source.
It is strongly advised that you read this file thoroughly before
installing Leafnode 2. In summary you need to:
1. Ensure $NNTPSERVER or /etc/nntpserver points to 'localhost'.
2. Set /etc/inetd.conf so leafnode is executed for incoming NNTP connections.
3. Set /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow to protect the server.
4. Create /etc/leafnode/config and adjust settings as required.
5. Set cronjobs for fetchnews and texpire.
6. Fetch the newsgroup list from the upstream server.
7. Set your newsreader to use 'localhost'.
You may also want to read the following guide: